Structural geology is the basis for many mining, mineral exploration, infrastructure and rock engineering projects. As such, understanding structure allows for informed decision making and leads to a reduction in risk and expenditures on projects.
From the mining and exploration perspective, understanding the structural controls and geometry of mineralized systems is of paramount importance during all stages of development from grass-roots exploration, through to production.
Structural site characterization is a fundamental input into many mining (both open pit and underground) and rock engineering projects. Terrane has worked on a wide range of projects, both domestic and international for mines, mineral exploration, utilities, transportation departments, and developers. We bring this wealth of experience to our client’s projects.
- Structural mapping, site assessment, and 3D modelling
- Structural controls and geometry of mineral deposits
- Oriented core logging and interpretation
- Optical and acoustic televiewer interpretation
- 3D structural geology modelling in support of resource estimation
- Fault models as an input to the geotechnical model for open pit and underground mine design
- Using UAVs for advanced structural mapping of exploration sites and open pit mines
- Airborne LiDAR and geophysical interpretation
Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
We use our expertise in structural geology to provide expert rock mechanics and geotechnical engineering to a variety of clients in the mining, infrastructure and private sector. Our rock mechanics and geotechnical engineering services integrate with our structural geology services to provide the best technical solution for our client’s projects.
- Site assessment and rock mass classification – drilling, mapping, and remote sensing
- Design of open pit mines – drilling through to design
- Design of ground support for underground mines
- Stope optimization for underground mines
- Tunnels – design, stability assessment, mapping, and remediation
- Rock slopes – stability assessment, design, and remediation
- Foundations on rock
- Quarries – resource estimates, aggregate quality mapping and modelling, extraction planning
- Shoring design for temporary excavations
- Rockfall hazard assessment
Geospatial Data Services – Drones, GIS and LiDAR
At Terrane, we leverage the latest geospatial data technologies from data collection through to advanced analysis. Clients can expect Terrane to provide solutions that incorporate a fully IT-integrated approach to geoscience data collection, interpretation and management.
- 3D Modelling of mines, tunnels, bridge foundations, and quarries
- Terrestrial LiDAR
- UAV orthoimagery, digital terrain modelling, and analysis
- Change detection, site monitoring
- Site topography
- Reclamation plans
- Stockpile volume estimation
Mineral Exploration Services
Terrane provides mineral exploration services from grass roots to drilling through to feasibility-level projects. We have extensive experience in a range of commodities including gold, base metals, uranium, diamonds and industrial minerals.
- 3D geological model development
- Geological mapping (from prospect to camp scale)
- Independent N43-101 reporting,
- GIS compilation and mineral exploration target generation.
We have done several projects with Terrane in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Tony and the rest of the staff are great to work with and provide excellent knowledge and cutting-edge technology. I would highly recommend them.”
Gavin IsenorDexter Construction
The representatives of Terrane Geoscience are a joy to work with. They are very professional and accommodating.”
La-Keisha WilmottMorton Bahamas Limited
They were dilligent in their observations and interesting and insightful geological discussions as well as a clearer understanding of our targets are a direct result of their work.”
Marcus AdamSeabridge Gold
We are experts in structural geology, rock mechanics engineering, geospatial data services and mineral exploration. We take a practical approach to our work, finding creative technical solutions that address the needs of our clients in the mining, exploration and infrastructure sectors.
Our consultants are highly specialized, which means we focus all our effort into what we do well. This translates into the successful delivery of our data products, models, and designs for clients in Canada and internationally.